Alcoeur's Apron - Fall Apples
All the recipes that we will feature on Alcoeur's Apron will be soft, easy to swallow, and a great choice for elderly eaters! We try to keep all the meals under 15 ingredients so that you and your loved one have more time eating together then cooking or cleaning the kitchen. Keeping up with our fall recipes we are dedicating this week to Fall's favorite fruit, the apple!
This week's recipes are Pork Chops with Apples and Stuffing & Fall Apple Crisp!
Pork Chops with Apples & Stuffing - 20 Minute Prep - Total Time 1 hr. 25 Minutes
What You Need
1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine, softened
2 unpeeled red baking apples, sliced SAVE $
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
4 bone-in pork loin chops, 3/4 inch thick (about 2 lb), trimmed
1 cup apple juice or apple cider
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups stuffing mix for pork or chicken (from 12-oz box or 8- or 12-oz canister)
1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 375°F. Brush 1/2 teaspoon butter in bottom of 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Spread apple slices in dish. In small bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Sprinkle seasoned salt on both sides of pork; place pork over apples.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat apple juice and 2 tablespoons butter to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in stuffing mix and cranberries. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff mixture with fork. Scoop 1/2 cup stuffing onto each pork chop.
- Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray; place sprayed side down over baking dish. Bake 40 to 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until pork is no longer pink in center and meat thermometer inserted in center reads 160°F. Sprinkle with parsley. To serve, lift pork chops with stuffing to serving plates; serve apples on the side.
Easy Fall Apple Crisp
What You Need
2 ½ cups apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Arrange apple slices evenly in prepared baking dish. Sift flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake in preheated oven until topping is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
*Pro Tip: For the perfect finish add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Yes! Fall Recipes are in full swing! Let us know how your recipes came out. Do you prefer vanilla or vanilla bean with your apple desserts? Let us know!