1 cup whole wheat flour 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Heat a large griddle or frying pan with medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, and in a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
3. Combine the two mixtures, stirring the batter just until it is moistened, and then add the blueberries. If they are frozen, do not thaw them, and if you prefer, you can sprinkle the berries on top of the cakes once they are already on the griddle.
4. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the hot griddle or pan for each pancake, flipping when bubbles form on top. Cook the other side until it is golden brown.
5. Top with a small serving of maple syrup. Diabetics might prefer using sugar-free syrup or simply topping this breakfast with fresh blueberries and slices of banana.
Source: Sunrise Senior Living