Alcoeur's Apron - Fall Inspired Soups
All the recipes that we will feature on Alcoeur's Apron will be soft, easy to swallow, and a great choice for elderly eaters! We try to keep all the meals under 15 ingredients so that you and your loved one have more time eating together then cooking or cleaning the kitchen. We are so excited that it is the fall season and for fall flavors. What is better on a crisp fall day then a bowl of soup? Nothing. Take a look at this weeks recipes to get you into the fall spirit.
This week's recipes are Butternut Squash Soup & Grilled Cheese!
Butternut Squash Soup - Prep Time 10 - Total Time 35 - Servings 4
What You Need
½ Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1 onion diced
1 butternut squash peeled and diced into cubes
32 ounces vegetable broth
1-2 tsp. salt
- In a dutch oven pot (or heavy pot), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cut up butternut squash and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until squash is softened.
- Carefully pour entire contents of pot into blender. Add salt.
- Carefully blend until smooth. Serve in bowls with thyme if desired.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What You Need
5 tbsp. butter, softened, divided
4 slices sourdough bread
2 cups shredded cheddar
- Spread 1 tablespoon butter on one side of each slice of bread. With butter side down, top each slice of bread with about ½ cup cheddar.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add two slices of bread, butter side down. Cook until bread is golden and cheese is starting to melt, about 2 minutes. Flip one piece of bread on top of the other and continue to cook until cheese is melty, about 30 seconds more.
- Repeat for the second sandwich, wiping skillet clean if necessary.
*Pro Tip: Mix up the cheese, use your favorite, use four kinds, use ten! You can't go wrong with mixing up the cheese.
I am so excited about this recipe! Send us pictures of your meals and let us know how you enjoyed them!