All the recipes that we will feature on Alcoeur's Apron will be soft, easy to swallow, and a great choice for elderly eaters! We try to keep all the meals under 15 ingredients so that you and your loved one have more time eating together then cooking or cleaning the kitchen. This week we will be featuring two easy recipes that could be for lunch or dinner. Our recipes will be Italian inspired this week and hopefully your new favorite!
This weeks recipes will be Mini Vegetable Lasagnas & Lemony Steamed Green Beans!
Mini Vegetable Lasagnas - Prep Time 15 Minutes - Total Time 35 Minutes - 2 Servings
What You Need
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup oven ready lasagna noodles, broken up
1/2 each red and yellow pepper, diced
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
1/2 tsp each Salt & pepper to taste
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease 4 ramekins with olive oil. In a medium-sized bowl, mix tomato sauce with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide remaining ingredients evenly among ramekins, starting with ricotta cheese, then lasagna noodles, veggies and more ricotta. Top with lasagna sheets and pour a bit of tomato sauce over top (you can also add in a bit of tomato sauce before AND after you put on the top layer of lasagna noodles) Add grated mozzarella cheese to top of each ramekin.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until lasagna noodles are al dente and cheese is melted. Remove from oven, top with fresh basil and serve.
Lemony Steamed Green Beans - Prep Time 5 Minutes - Total Time 10 Minutes - 2 Servings
What You Need
1/2 lb pound fresh green beans
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus zest from 1 lemon (1 tablespoon)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
- Trim the green beans. Zest the lemon, then juice it.
- Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot. If using a steamer basket without a handle, add it to the pot now: the water surface should be right under the basket. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the green beans (in the steamer basket, if it has a handle). Steam with the lid on 4 to 5 minutes until just tender, testing with a fork to assess whether it’s done.
- Carefully remove the beans to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
Let us know how your recipes came out! We love feedback and seeing pictures of the delicious meals you have prepared!